CBD: An Introduction
CBD is the current talk of the wellness community, and it has been a hot topic in recent years. It was first thought to be a “wellness fad” because of how quickly the CBD market exploded in popularity. However, in time, it became clear that the once trendy ingredient has earned a permanent place in the daily lives of thousands of Americans.
Both men and women, from young adults to the elderly, began using CBD in place of their over-the-counter options as a way to experience relief in a natural way. The demand for the sensational ingredient has skyrocketed since, making it one of the most highly sought-after products the holistic wellness market has ever encountered.
If all of the excitement around CBD has piqued your curiosity, you are not alone. At Brain Body Health, LLC, we are committed to providing you all the information you crave to make the best decisions for your health. Our goal is to make your wellness experience as easy and transparent as possible, so we have created an easy to navigate guide to help you understand this health and wellness revolution. We will discuss:
- The basics of CBD
- How CBD works
- Who can benefit from CBD
- The types of CBD products on the market today
- How to choose a high-quality CBD product
In a few short minutes, you will be well-versed in all things CBD-related and ready to shop for the perfect products to fit into your lifestyle without hesitation! Let’s get started.
CBD is the acronym for cannabidiol. It is one of nearly a hundred compounds with a similar genetic structure called cannabinoids.
Plants within the cannabis sativa family contain these types of cannabinoids. You may be familiar with the well-known plants in this family: marijuana and hemp. Because they are in the same family, many consumers confuse the two plants, but it is important to know that hemp and marijuana are not the same. Like any other siblings, they are related, but not identical.
CBD products on the market today feature cannabidiol and other cannabinoids derived from hemp, not marijuana. Derivatives of hemp that contain less than .3% THC are legal in the United States, whereas derivatives of marijuana are not federally legal. Hemp-derived compounds became legal in 2018 after the Farm Bill was signed into law.
Put simply, hemp-derived CBD is:
- Legal in the United States, and has been since 2018.
- Non-psychoactive, because products can contain a maximum of .3% THC, making them unable to bind to receptors that may trigger any euphoric side effects.
- Derived entirely from the hemp plant, so it is plant-based and holistic in nature.
- Not derived from marijuana.
How CBD Works
When the robust compounds are extracted from the hemp plant using precise, scientifically-advanced extraction methods, a rich hemp oil remains. This potent blend of compounds usually includes high-quality CBD, CBG, CBC, and more, as well as other microscopic ingredients like terpenes and flavonoids. This spectrum of compounds is believed to work thoroughly and effectively within the body to deliver a wide range of health and wellness benefits.
When CBD and other cannabinoids enter the bloodstream, they begin interacting naturally with the body’s endocannabinoid system (ECS for short). The ECS is a complex system in the body that is responsible for regulating many of our everyday functions. When there is a deficit in the ECS, it can manifest in several ways, including fatigue, inability to sleep, physical discomfort, general stress, and more.
With impeccable synergy, CBD engages beautifully with the endocannabinoid system to promote optimal wellness (or homeostasis) from within.
Put simply, CBD and other cannabinoids have the unique ability to engage with the body’s endocannabinoid system to encourage a wide range of benefits naturally.
Who Should Use CBD?
Because CBD can offer several far-reaching benefits, the versatile compound is an ideal choice for many, including:
Those who need support maintaining a healthy and relaxed state of mind.
After a mentally exhausting day, or to prepare for a day that is likely to be busy or stressful, consumers reach for their all-natural CBD products to provide natural support. The trusted wellness ingredient helps take the edge off of a trying day while simultaneously promoting a sense of clarity and enhanced peace of mind. Consumers report feeling more at ease emotionally when they use CBD on a regular basis.
Individuals experiencing physical fatigue due to arduous fitness routines, repetitive movements, or general aging.
Whether your muscles are exceptionally tender after a strenuous workout or your joints are feeling uncomfortable as a result of excessive use or age, CBD helps minimize physical fatigue and discomfort naturally. In addition, many athletes prefer CBD-infused products to expedite their post-workout recovery organically.
Anyone seeking natural remedies for sleep woes.
Because it works harmoniously with the endocannabinoid system, CBD has become a go-to product for individuals seeking an improved sleep routine. There are even specially-formulated CBD products infused with all-natural melatonin designed to encourage a more restful night’s sleep without unfavorable side effects, and many consumers report getting the best sleep of their lives after incorporating a high-quality CBD product into their nightly routine.
Healthy individuals who want to maintain a balanced routine.
Contrary to popular belief, CBD is not just for individuals who experience mental and physical fatigue. In fact, many people who use CBD on a regular basis do so as part of a healthy routine in an effort to prevent fatigue from having a chance to manifest. CBD is believed to create a sense of balance in one’s everyday routine, essentially promoting homeostasis from within, then acting to maintain it naturally.
Put simply, CBD is completely natural and highly versatile. It is trusted by individuals who need support for emotional and physical fatigue, as well as healthy individuals who want to maintain their wholesome wellness routines. The list of benefits experienced by consumers continues to grow each day and the true potential of CBD has yet to be discovered.
CBD Product Types
Because CBD is so versatile, there are numerous product options on the market today to make it easy to enjoy the many benefits it can offer. Whether you prefer a product you can consume or apply to your skin, there is something to meet the wellness needs of just about everyone. Some of the most popular products on the market today include:
Orally-administered CBD, like:
- CBD Softgels – These are typically small gels that are premeasured, so all you have to do is quickly swallow it with a glass of water. Easy to consume with no measuring required, this convenient product only takes moments to administer, yet makes a profound difference in how you feel each day.
- CBD Gummies – Chewable and slightly sweet, CBD gummies are a customer favorite because they satisfy two important requirements: 1) They are completely enjoyable because they taste delicious, and 2) They deliver a convenient, premeasured dose of long-lasting CBD. Many CBD gummies on the market today are made with natural ingredients, so they are vegan and gluten-free, making them a great choice for consumers who seek a tasty edible product. CBD Gummies are known to be long-lasting, as they travel through the digestive system slowly while releasing the beneficial compounds into your bloodstream.
- CBD Oil Tinctures – CBD Oil Tinctures are a liquid CBD product that comes with a dropper so you can precisely measure your CBD dosage. Unlike CBD Softgels and Gummies that come premeasured, CBD Oil Tinctures give you more discretion when it comes to the exact amount of CBD you would like to consume, letting you carefully fine-tune your dosage amount using the small tick-marks on the dropper. Tinctures are fast-acting, especially when you administer the product under your tongue. Simply measure your desired amount and hold it under your tongue so the compounds can absorb in your mucosal blood vessels before swallowing. This allows the compounds to essentially take a shortcut through the body and start working faster.
CBD Topicals, like:
- CBD Salve – A CBD Salve, sometimes called a balm, is a thick and nourishing product that you apply directly to your skin. Often featuring natural and organic ingredients, you will find that your CBD Salve is designed to deeply moisturize using emollients like organic beeswax and organic essential oils while the potent CBD penetrates to offer additional relief. For external use only, a small dab of CBD Salve will go a long way, as the rich product delivers a thoroughly hydrating experience.
- CBD Sports Cream – Just as nourishing as a CBD Salve, a CBD Sports Cream offers a slightly different topical experience. Infused with cooling and deeply soothing menthol, the icy/hot sensation you experience upon application is second only to the profound comfort the premium CBD delivers upon absorption. A staple in the gym bags of thousands, CBD-infused sports cream delivers benefits unheard of from most store-bought topicals.
Put simply, CBD comes in a variety of product types that can be consumed or applied to the skin, each designed to deliver a wide range of benefits naturally.
Choosing a Safe, High-Quality CBD Product
As a result of CBD’s rapid rise in popularity, thousands of retailers nationwide are beginning to offer CBD products in their shops. From convenience stores to supermarkets, CBD is seemingly everywhere.
When you finally decide to give CBD a try for yourself, avoid purchasing the first attractive label you see. Because the FDA does not regulate the sale of CBD products on the market today, the quality and potency of products you find in stores can vary significantly. Look for these four vital traits first, to ensure your product of choice will be safe and effective:
- Only purchase CBD that is derived from hemp plants grown in the United States.
American-grown crops, including industrial hemp, are held to higher agricultural standards than other nations. Hemp that was farmed overseas is often exposed to chemicals, pesticides, and other contaminants that are harsh and unnecessary.
- Look for broad-spectrum, THC-free CBD products.
There are many types of CBD formulas on the market today, including full-spectrum CBD, broad-spectrum CBD, and a CBD isolate. A full-spectrum product features a cannabinoid-rich hemp extract that contains numerous hemp-derived cannabinoids, including up to .3% THC. Broad-spectrum products also feature a robust blend of beneficial cannabinoids, but all detectable traces of THC are removed for the customer’s peace of mind. A CBD isolate features only pure CBD without the presence of other cannabinoids, typically in a crystallized powder form. Isolates are believed to be less effective, as several cannabinoids working together are known to interact better with the endocannabinoid system. Broad-spectrum, THC-free products are considered the safest and most effective products on the market today.
- Only purchase products that have been rigorously tested and analyzed by a third-party lab.
Your brand of choice should have nothing to hide from you, especially the ingredients inside of your wellness product. Instead of putting blind trust into the ingredient list printed on the label, it is in your best interest to only purchase products that utilize an independent third-party lab so you can verify the contents and purity of your product. The lab results should be made available to you, so you can be sure that there are no pesticides, metals, molds, or THC present.
- Shop with a trustworthy, completely transparent retailer who has nothing to hide from you.
When you find a trustworthy brand that uses scientifically-advanced techniques at every step, from farming to packaging, you can shop without inhibitions, as you will know that your brand of choice only sells premium quality CBD that comes from U.S. grown hemp, processed and purified to perfection to create safe, dependable products you can use every day. You won’t have to ask for the third-party lab reports from a reputable retailer, because all you need to do is scan the QR code on each unique bottle to see the results.
Put simply, shopping with a trusted retailer can take the guesswork out of choosing a safe and reliable CBD product. Make sure your retailer sells broad-spectrum, THC-free CBD derived from U.S. grown hemp, and always make sure it endured third-party lab testing.
The Bottom Line
The market for CBD is continuing to grow, so learning about the ground-breaking ingredient and what it’s capable of can help you be as informed as possible while shopping. There is a lot to consider when you want to purchase CBD, but most importantly, it is crucial to find a reputable and trustworthy retailer. When you find a brand that you can trust, whose goal is to not only sell you products but to provide helpful resources and educational materials to help you succeed on your wellness journey, you will have a dependable wellness advocate and a go-to place for effective products.
If you have additional questions about CBD, or if you are ready to shop and need help choosing the ideal product for you, contact the experts at Brain Body Health, LLC. We would be honored to be part of your wellness journey!